Sunday, January 23, 2011

2010 Recap - Motion Pictures - Non-Prestige Films

2010 films not designed to win Oscars, from best to worst:

Scott Pilgrim vs The World*
The first movie since, uh... Good Will Hunting?... that I saw twice in the theater. I've watched it again on DVD, and listened to two of the feature commentaries. Not only am I not sick of it yet, I still get all tingly watching The Clash At Demonhead scene, the Amp vs Amp battle, and the ending. My favorite movie of the year.

Memorable Quote: "I gotta pee on her!... I mean, I gotta pee. Pee time."


MacGruber*
If you didn't enjoy yourself while watching MacGruber, you're watching movies wrong. The scene where MacGruber explains the origin of his rivalry with Dieter Von Cunth was the hardest I laughed all year.

Memorable Quote: "The only record I'm gonna break is the "amount of your own dick in your mouth" record."


Youth in Revolt
Pretty good! Just a nice little coming-of-age romp. Excellent use of The Fruit Bats "When U Love Somebody" weaved into the final act.

Memorable Quote: "I do all of my hiking free form. Like John Muir, I enter the wilderness with nothing more than my journal and a child-like sense of wonder."


Hot Tub Time Machine
I found this highly enjoyable, but I will grant that the lowered expectations that accompany DVD viewings may play a factor. If you paid full price to see Crispin Glover lose a hand, you might rank it differently. Or maybe you just have to be a fan of Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home" to dig it.

Memorable Quote: "Here's a question. Was it morally wrong for me to exploit my knowledge of the future for personal financial gain? Perhaps. Here's another question. Do I give a fuck?"


Kick-Ass*
Finally, a movie Nicolas Cage didn't ruin. Not the best superhero movie, but Hit Girl pushed it to an acceptable level.

Memorable Quote: I guess it was memorable when Hit Girl used the "C" word, but not really because I'd forgotten until I just looked up the IMDB quotes.


Date Night
Good enough for a date movie targeted to parents.

Memorable Quote: nah


The Town
Kind of dumb? But this movie proves that if you throw at least three heists into an otherwise cliched plot (with a strange romantic angle in there, too), you can still get a passing grade from the audience.

Memorable Quote: all the ones with those thick Boston accents. They talk different from you and me!


Get Him to the Greek
This was a comedy that made me smile several times, but no big laughs.

Memorable Quote: probably something Nick Kroll said to Diddy


Dinner for Schmucks*
I'm not a big Flight of the Conchords fan, but Jemaine Clement was easily the funniest part of this movie. Unfortunately, he's only in a few scenes.

Memorable Quote: nope

Predators
This movie definitely featured humans shooting at predators with huge guns (and in the Yakuza's case, stylish but comically useless small guns). In my book, that counts for something.

Memorable Quote: (bang bang bang bang pew pew bang bang bang)


Iron Man 2
Snore. Big time.

Memorable Quote: the one where Robert Downey Jr said something wry instead of flying around and punching stuff.


*Denotes theater viewing. Expectations that come with a full-price, pound-me-in-the-ass ticket prices almost certainly influence the rankings assigned.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

I like what you've done separating the two types of films. Makes sense. Clearly, we agree about Scott Pilgrim and Iron Man 2. But I think I liked Get Him to the Greek more than you.

Kick Ass is one I'm still upset I missed in theaters. I'll give MacGruber a try, just for you.

dn said...

I know, right? There's no point in comparing The Social Network to Hot Tub Time Machine. It's the one thing that the Golden Globes almost has right, except they group musicals with comedies, and don't pick the right comedies.

We've watched MacGruber 4 or so times since Christmas morning. Chances are you'll be forced to watch it very soon.