Tuesday, May 10, 2011

An Office And A Gentleman And Another Gentleman

I failed to mention one amazing/terrible thing about my new digs.

Some mornings I don't hear a bird's peaceful chirping. Instead, I hear the shouting of The Downtown Dancer, who must live across the street from my building. His antics also inspire honking from passing vehicles.

Here's the link you just didn't click on:

Q&A With The Downtown Dancer

Topekan dances to shed light on Jesus, troops

You probably have seen him in downtown Topeka, on S.W. Wanamaker Road and at S.W. 29th Street dancing with one of his many lamps. Sometimes he gets funny glances, and at other times, he chats with passers-by.

On Thursday, The Topeka Capital-Journal caught up with this dancer at S.E. 6th and Quincy. Dressed in blue-jean shorts, a red shirt, bright-white tennis shoes, black gloves and with a fanny pack around his waist, he danced and held a small light. He waved and smiled as people drove by and honked. But he never lost his rhythm.

His name is Rickie Hite. The 50-year-old said he dances to raise awareness.

So, Rickie, where do you live?

"I stay here in Topeka. I'm from Merriam, Kansas. The Lord led me here."

I've seen you out here rain and shine, hot and cold. What are you doing with the lamp?

"Holding up the light for Jesus. We can all love one another. I'm holding up the light for our troops, for our judicial system, too."

And why do you dance?

"I go on the spur of the moment with the Lord. I've been doing this for three years. The spirit of the Lord moves me."

How many lamps do you have?

"I own 12 of them. I get some from the thrift stores. I buy them, or they let me borrow them. My favorite is the one with the American flag. I dance for the soldiers. To me, there is no greater dance than what they are doing for us."

What type of music do you usually listen to while you're dancing?

"I listen to country a lot. Right now, I'm listening to 'I Love a Rainy Night.' I listen to a little bit of everything."

Do you just dance downtown?

"No I dance all over the city. I dance here. I dance at other places downtown. I dance over on 29th."

How long do you usually dance?

"Sometimes I dance for five hours. I really don't need a gym. It's a great workout."

You've became somewhat of an icon in Topeka. You're on several YouTube videos and are mentioned on the Internet?

"That's what people have told me. I don't have a computer, so I've never looked. I'm just out here dancing."

At the end of the interview, he shook our hands, placed his headphones back on his ears, plugged into his hand-held CD player and began dancing again. He mouthed the words to one of the songs playing in his ears and thrust his lamp into the air. A car passed and honked.

He smiled, waved in acknowledgement and kept on dancing.


1 comment:

Floyd said...

I remember that guy. Surprised that he's still alive and/or dancing. Oh well.