Sunday, August 27, 2006

Friday With Paul

dn wrote:
> I woke up this morning, stumbled around, and realized that I had "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" in my head. Despite this terrible omen (and against my better judgement), I did not call in sick. Will tragedy befall me today? Is there any worse sign that "Once Bitten, Twice Shy"?

paul wrote:
You may not want to leave the house this weekend with that looming over you. That's very dangerous ground ever since they had that fire at one of their concerts. On a related Great White note, we had a pool in college to see how much it would take for someone to get "Once Bitten" tattooed on arm and "Twice Shy" tattooed on the other arm. At its peak, the pot was up to $500, but there were no takers. How much would it take for you to get this done?

> I actually remember your pact about the tattoo(s). I always bring it up when I'm involved in a tattoo conversation - it always brings the house down. I think I'd sooner get a "Snakes on a Plane" tattoo, or maybe even a tat commemorating the Great White nightclub fire, than the OBTS combo. And I am saddened to report that OBTS has morphed into Damn Yankees' "Coming of Age", which is at least equally brutal. Kill me.

Please, please don't get me started on Damn Yankees. Every time I hear that name, I first shutter in horror, then I can't get the video for "High Enough" out of my head. The scene where Ted Nugent busts through a front door (while wearing huge Oakley-style sunglasses) and proceeds to rip through a solo while cops are shooting at him is almost unbearable. Amazingly, no bullets hit him. It's almost as if the director said "Ted, we're going to make it look like you're rocking so hard that it's changing the paths of bullets." If you've never seen this video, you have 2 options:

1) Be thankful and forget the whole thing.

2) Go to YouTube and prepare for a life-changing video.



By the way, I just realized that the observation and comment about Nugent in that video was made on VH1's "I Love the 90s". I can't remember who said it, but I'd hate to pass off a line that great as my own when it's really not. So, this is my citation.

> Your citation is honorable - I was thinking that Bill Simmons also brought up that video recently, but I might be wrong. I listened to an entire Mates of State album, went to make a cup of tea, sat back down at my desk and heard, "LITTLE SISTAHHHHHHH. HITS THE STAAAGE!" echoing in my brain. This could be in my head forever. And by "forever", I mean one week, after which time I would take my own life.

The government should play that song when trying to get information from suspected terrorists. Bin Laden would have been caught 2 years ago if this method was used. Nobody, and I mean nobody, could hold out more than 3 hours if that song was constantly played.

> I'm now listening to Yes' "I've Seen All Good People", and I can't wait to try it out at the next karaoke night. I think it would make a nice duet.

Speaking of karaoke, I'm bombed big time a few weeks back with Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home". I guess I just don't have the Vince Neil "it" quality about me. I may have gotten into it a little too much, which may have turned off some people. But, live and learn. Let me know how the Yes tune goes over.

> To be fair, no one has the Vince Neil "it" quality. Not even Vince Neil. Not even Vince Neil before he weighed 250 pounds.

Do you think Vince ever looks in the mirror and says aloud: "What the hell happened to me?" To go from "Shout at the Devil" Vince to today's Vince is a decline that is rarely seen. I think if I was him, I wouldn't be able to pass a mirror without saying it. Okay, I'm done thinking about this. Have a good weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Against my better judgement I watched the video you posted and took notice of few things.
1. The blond singer/guitarist looks like David Spade up close.
2. The same guy also has long hair with bangs much like a woman's haircut something I've never seen before in rock videos.
3. Ted should have winked at the very end when we're surprised to find out that he is the priest reading the last rites.

pat

dn said...

I think bangs are coming back into style, Pat. Go ahead and grow some. Trust me.