Thursday, August 03, 2006

So You Think You Can Dance

Paul writes:
i watched parts of "footloose" last night, and i have a few questions for you:

1) when kevin bacon pulls up to school on his first day, he has quiet riot's "bang your head (metal health)" blaring from his car. this is possibly one of the most underrated comedy moments in 80s movies. anyways, shouldn't this be an acceptable approach for all first impressions? first day of work/school, first time meeting a significant other's family, etc. should all be started with kevin dubrow's screeching voice. i would really like to see practice implemented on a nation wide basis.

2) my last question involves the infamous scene where bacon works his frustration and anger out by dancing alone in a warehouse after drinking half a beer and throwing the bottle. i don't think any male would aruge with me that this is just an uneasy and weird scene to watch. my question is this: do you think when the movie first came out and was a hit, this scene was as uncomfortable for males to watch? Or has it just aged poorly?
Well, Paul, I have to confess that I'm not very knowledgeable in the realm of "Footloose". We didn't have cable when I was growing up. Still, it seemed that "Footloose" was on network television often, on weeknights, but I wasn't allowed to watch. There are a couple of possible reasons for this. Perhaps Ma and Pa didn't want me to be influenced by the movie, which contained dangerous ideas, such as the game of "chicken" between Kevin Bacon and some other dude. (Keep in mind, I had access to tractors, just like the kids in the film. It was a recipe for danger.) Perhaps I did watch much of the first part of the film, but was forbidden to see the end, due to a strict bedtime. Or, it's possible that my parents thought the movie was stupid (John Lithgow as a southern preacher?), and didn't want to be subjected to it.

In any case, I finally saw the whole movie a year or so back, and I was shocked. After a long buildup, the kids get to have a dance, and it was the lame. The end. But, as Paul points out, there are some high points along the way.

I find both of Paul's arguments compelling, and I tried to come up with the perfect response. In the end, I decided that words couldn't express my feelings on "Footloose". I hope this will serve as an acceptable substitute:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

finally, a venn diagram that is put to good use.

i remember watching footloose as a kid in the 80's, and finding that scene disturbing. however, i grew up in a house with cable, and a town that allowed guys to dance (if only to ridicule them, and typically to AC/DC's 'You Shook Me All Night Long').

what i can't remember is the song that was playing during that scene. if it was anything but loggins, then it is exponentially more disturbing.

[~jeff.]

Anonymous said...

i just remembered that in college, my girlfriend at the time dragged me to a staged musical version of footloose...easily the most emasculating experience of my life, and a huge struggle to contain myself from reacting to this apex of unintentional comedy. and yet, apparently the solo dancing scene was even too much for this cheesefest, since they didn't include it. they did however break into an over-the-top rendition of 'Almost Paradise' mid-scene. musicals kill me.

[~jeff.]