Sunday, January 31, 2010

2009 Recap - Bad Indie Rock Press Photos

I've complained about indie bands' press photos before. To summarize, the death of radio means that we now lay eyes on a band's photos before we hear their music, which means these photos take on a new importance, because we judge them with our eyes before hearing their sound.

Here are a few press photos that provoked a response so negative that I avoided their music:


A Weather (via Pop Tarts Suck Toasted)
Aww! They're cuddled up in fleece! I can't wait to hear their record to see how their drowsiness translates sonically -- although I hear their sleeping is a lot better live.


Capgun Coup (via I Guess I'm Floating)
Only a few of their members are fake-asleep for this photo, so I guess they're a slight improvement.


Warpaint (via Pop Tarts Suck Toasted)
Psst! Ladies! Quick, get out of there while Charles Manson is napping! C'mon, hurry! You teenage runaways shoud be familiar with the concept of escape!


Freelance Whales (via I Guess I'm Floating)
Is it more pretentious to take your press photo in the subway, prominently featuring your banjo, one-man-bandish bass drum, and glockenspiel, or...


Hey Mersailles (via Stereogum)
Is it more pretentious to dress up like prep schoolers, take a French name, and feature a trumpet, violin, and glockenspiel?


Uglysuit (via Stereogum)
These guys look silly enough without Colonel Sanders playing a walking stick like a guitar.


Family Band (via Stereogum)
Oh, you're in the woods, too? No instruments? You just got done burying the bodies? Cool.


Why (via Sixeyes)
(Actually, I have no objection to this photo. I just wanted everyone to see what Dave Attell would look like with a 'fro.)


Oberhofer (via Pop Tarts Suck Toasted)
This guy is like Shia LaBeouf crossed with Tim Robbins' world-music-loving character from "High Fidelity".


You You're Awesome (via I Guess I'm Floating)
Uh, no.

No comments: