Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Always Thinking About Tang

Yesterday, speaking to a group of about 100, I came to the slide discussing certain medications, and a bullet point that read "side effects".

"You can use one of these prophylactically, for prolonged periods within defined populations, to prevent illness. But it's impractical to use for weeks and months. And there can be side effects to these medications; I mean, keep in mind it's not like you're drinking Tang every day."

"Wait. Tang? Why did I say 'Tang'?"

"I guess since one of the drugs is a powder, I was thinking about powdered things, and Tang is a powder."

"Huh."

"..."

[I intentionally tried to stay silent for as long as I could, to make things as awkward as possible, and to see if anyone would laugh at the awkward silence. They declined.]

"..."

"Okay, so, there is also a limited supply of these medications..."

No comments: