Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Two Years And No Peaches

I share a cubicle wall with a woman - she has a live-in boyfriend, and the two speak once or twice during the course of a workday.

This morning, she called him to report on what she purchased at the farmer's market. "I bought peaches and corn," she said. "Do you like peaches?"

I was surprised by her question. When you've lived with someone for more than a year - when you've been dating that person for even longer - wouldn't the peach issue have come up by now?

Two years, and no peach cobbler for dessert? No canned peaches? No fresh peaches? No peach pie? No peaches at all?

It gives me hope for all long-term relationships. Couples aren't doomed to stick in a rut, repeating the same dialogue between bites of the same casseroles. They can constantly learn new things about each other, and grow old together in harmony. Yes, honey. I like peaches. I eat the fuck out of peaches. How is your day going? I'll see you soon.

No comments: