Friday, November 10, 2006

Road Trip

I had to give a presentation in Garden City Wednesday; I took my camera along to amuse myself during the 5+ hour drive. Every now and then, I'd roll down the window, stick the camera out, and snap a photo of the Kansas landscape. It's actually a pretty neat drive, but seeing as how it's November, there isn't much color to convince anyone how nice the Smoky Hills are.



On the return trip, I decided to detour through Mushroom Rock State Park. I'd heard of it, but I'd never been. It's a very small patch of mutant geology.



The weird thing about it is how normal the surrounding area is.



Also, I finally checked out this statue atop a hill at a rest stop east of Manhattan. I got there at sunset, which was nice.



Other assorted photos are at my Flickr account.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm a little confused on the rock. how big is it? it looks like it could be huge, but i'm guessing from your other pictures that it's only about your height. is it the only rock around like that? baffling...

nathan

dn said...

The two signature "mushroom" rocks at the park are about 15 feet tall...until the teens that carve their names into the supporting limestone go too far, and they collapse.

There are some other rocks in the park, but I assume that their limestone bases are still buried underground.