Monday, February 27, 2006

Happy National Pancake Day!

[NOTE: Tuesday is National Pancake Day, and that has something to do with it being Mardi Gras. To celebrate, I was going to interview Corinne, who really, really loves pancakes, but it didn't work out. Maybe another time.]

I spoke with Shawn this evening - he took me to task for failing to post on two consecutive days. The horror! Truth be told, my blog time was stolen this weekend from a free Yahoo! game called Bookworm. Bookworm is a a lot like Boggle - the major differences are (1.) after using tiles, they disappear, and new replacement tiles fall from the top of the screen (2.) there is no little, plastic, sand-containing timer that tells you when the game is over.


Bookworm has no time limit; you have as long as you wish to make the next word. The game's latter characteristic, when combined with the game's relatively low difficulty level, is pretty fucking brutal. It can cause a guy like me to suspend all meaningful activities in the quest for a meaningless high score. Then you get what we got here yesterday, when I formed words during Total Recall and Armageddon until my eyes hurt too much to continue. And you know that game your mind continues to play, even after you've quit? (Every Tetris player experienced the Tetris Mind Game at least once.) Well, I didn't stop soon enough to prevent it. Simply put, I haven't spent this much mental energy since Chris and I sat next to each other during Organic Chemistry, staring at the big periodic table on the Willard Hall auditorium wall, forming words and sentences from atomic symbols.


Wait. That's incorrect. I spent a similar amount of mental energy back when Steph bought me a copy of Word Freak, and I read so much about amazing Scrabble moves that I was inspired to go out and buy my own gameboard. And play. Against myself.

In any case, I'm done with Bookworm forever. Fuck that shit. I'm going to pretend I have better things to do with my time.

No comments: