Thursday, March 23, 2006

Huggins Hired

Paul wrote on 03/23/2006 09:18:26 AM:

I'd like to congratulate your alma mater on hiring Bob Huggins. I always felt that what was holding K-State back from being a Big 12 basketball power was the absence of an alcoholic dictator as the coach. I wonder if they'll show the videotape of his DUI stop on the scoreboard during timeouts.

I will say this though: if Huggins brings the two junior recruits from Ohio with him, K-State will be a top 10 team in two years. The two recruits' names are O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker, and they have supposedly stated that they will go wherever Huggins goes. It's eerily similar to the the Jimmy Chitwood/Norman Dale situation in the movie "Hoosiers".

If LeBron had never existed, Mayo would be deemed as the next Jordan. He's a 6'5" guard that is an amazing player. Walker is a post player that will also start from Day 1 at whatever college he goes too. The two of them are high school teammates, and their team is playing in the state tournaments right now here at Ohio State. Needless to say, the media coverage has been a circus. So, buy your 2007-2008 KSU season tickets now.

dn wrote:

Yeah, I saw the news this morning and told a fellow graduate, "Good, I was tired of our players graduating anyway," and he responded:

"Our players didn't graduate under Wooly, anyway. They transferred so they could play under Huggins and left school to smoke the reefer...so not much is going to change, except winning games...."

So that's that. The way I see it, Manhattan is a small town, and there's less stuff for him to hit when he drives around drunk. Plus, maybe the contract include a driver for him. It could be a KSU tradition - spotting Huggins' riding in the back of a towncar, head against the window, passed out.

I'd like to expand your comment into a full post on the site - can you write me back and tell the story about the Cincinnati basketball camp?...

Paul wrote on 03/23/2006 10:43:40 AM:

That event would have happened circa 1993. The players from my class and the one above me went to a summer basketball camp at the University of Cincinnati. UC is an urban campus, and it's in an awful part of the city. We would have all been 14-15 years old and coming from a small, rural school in northwest Ohio, so not alot of street smarts at that point.

Anyways, the first night there, we needed some ice for the coolers that we brought down with us. Not knowing what kind of area we were in, around 5 of us walked off-campus to a convenience store. While we were in there, a local resident came in screaming "I'm going to kill him. I hate the mother f*%$er". We looked over at the guy, and he was holding his face which was full of blood.

At this point, we all looked at each other in complete fright. So, doing what farm kids do in an urban setting, we took off running out of the store. I remember the guy who was bleeding yelling as we left the store, but I couldn't understand what he was saying. When we got back to campus, one of my friends realized he had left with a Mountain Dew without paying, so he said "Should I go back and pay for it?"

He was almost beat to death for suggesting such a stupid idea. Needless to say, we didn't wander off the campus for the rest of the week.

dn wrote:

Thanks, Paul. That's a classic tale that needed retelling. One point I seem to remember from the first time I heard it. Didn't the store clerk know the bleeding man, and tell the man, "We'll get him."? I thought that those two were definitely going to enact their revenge together. Do you remember the clerk's response? Am I wrong?

Paul wrote on 03/23/2006 12:14:44 PM:

Good catch. I can't believe I left out the store clerk and his willingness to jump into the situation. That's exactly what he said, and we assumed the two guys were friends (in retrospect). I do remember looking in the paper the next morning to see if any homicides occurred in the area. None were mentioned, but we thought the body may not have been found yet.

1 comment:

Floyd said...

OJ Mayo, Mr Basketball two years running in Ohio, was just suspended for the playoffs from his high school basketball team.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/sports/8211180/detail.html

Sounds like he'll fit in great with Thuggy Bear.