Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Loring Park Lore

[This is an excerpt of an old email of mine, wherein I detailed some memories of my Minneapolis apartment. I was thinking I could extent it into a good post, but it's been in "draft" status since May 2005, so I'm purging it. More on my old neighbors to come...]

Good

1. Chug It night.

2. Watching the lunar eclipse with Rhonda on the rooftop patio. Nothing like some cold Boulevards and a cosmic event.

3. Hearing the neighbors diagonal from me having prolonged sex. This never bothered me. It was always kind of nice, not too loud, never weird sounds, just good sex.

4. This one time when I was studying (maybe for finals?), and Steph came over and brought cookies.

Neutral

1. Fernando moving out to the dismay of his abusive lover, my neighbor, whose name might have been John.

2. Watching the stupid fucking Jayhawks miss 4 million free throws and lose the national championship game. At least I didn't have to watch it alone.

3. Living without furniture for a year. How many people can say that? And not be homeless?

Bad

1. Hearing the neighbors' squeaky bed above me as they presumably had sex.

2. John, post-Fernando, blasting AC/DC as loud as he possibly could at random times for reasons unknown.

3. The surreal moment I woke at 3 a.m. to hear Fleetwood's "The Chain" being played from John's pad. So many conflicting emotions.

4. Any of the numerous fire drills, esp. the one where the alarm could not be shut off, which kept me awake for an additional 1.5 hours or so.

5. The 4 or 5 days the boiler, and hence our heat, went out.

6. When I couldn't shut my heater off, and dude was like, "I don't know how to fix this - couldn't you just open a window when you're too hot?"

7. The ridiculous ingenuity that I had to employ to wash and dry my dishes due to lack of counter space.

No comments: