Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Doppelganger

Back when I was a young undergraduate, I was walking from my car to the movie theater. One teenage girl pointed at me and screeched, "You look just like Shades from That Thing You Do!" Then she and her little friend went on their way. That fall, two freshmen girls that lived in my dorm also decided that I looked like Tom Everett Scott, and even drew a representation of me - a brain wearing sunglasses. I couldn't find a photo of Tom from the movie, but here's a photo of him not wearing a shirt for some reason:


Had Mr. Scott's career gone differently after TTYD (it wasn't that bad of a flick...why was he banished to poorly received television shows, anyway?), I might have been known only as his body double. His C-level status allowed others to think of me as looking similar to other celebrities, such as:


That's right, Mr. Foreman himself, Topher Grace. If I had the personality of say, a '89 Buick Regal, people probably wouldn't have mentioned a resemblance. But, the Foreman kid is sarcastic and funny, and I am too (even moreso on both accounts, truth be told).

It's been some time now since I've heard a Foreman reference. I didn't really like it while it was occurring, but the last two people I was compared to makes me long for those days of Shades and Topher.

Heather recently said I reminded her of the Hank guy from the Starbucks commercial.


Last Friday night in Manhattan, Shawn's friend (black) said I looked like Adam Corolla. "In this light," she qualified. Well, it was dark in Auntie Mae's, but dark enough to transform me into Captain Crank Yankers himself?


Be sure to visit my blog in 2026, when little girls scream at the sight of me and orthodox Jews rip their shirts after catching a glimpse.

"Aaaaaah! It's the very elderly and very ugly Steve Buscemi!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You so are Hank! HANK!

Heather

Gav said...

Does being black have anything to do with it, you racist prick?

Personally, I have been compared in looks to Danny Bonaduce (when I was a kid), and that's all that I remember. I guess not too many German and French people got together to 'do it', and I'm one of a kind.

Anonymous said...

no to the adam corrolla. No way. What did you say to that girl to piss her off? Because that sounds like a perfect insult to me. Subtle, but really kind of cutting and probably leaves you with lingering insecurity. So just nip it in the bud.

Yup, Adam Corolla might be the perfect way to insult any white guy. So...

I get Barbra Streisand and Janeane Garofalo. But I think that is more because of my nose, my brunette hair, my powerful singing voice and my terribly dry sense of humor.

dn said...

I didn't piss that (black) girl off - it was actually the first thing she said to me when she sat down.