Wednesday, August 10, 2005

It's Such a Perfect Day - Part Two

Back at our residence, the woman I love brews coffee while I start to read the newspaper I picked up on the walk home. Sports: all of my teams won, athletes are grateful and giving, NASCAR is defunct, hockey is exciting. Entertainment: all of the films showing are worth seeing, my favorite bands are coming to town. Business: health care solved, everyone has become is sitcom wealthy—comfortable, able to take nice vacations, unable to pimp rides or sport bling. Oh, there's tons of good stuff in the paper, but my favorite article discusses how scientists have developed, perfected, and implemented public teleportation.

"I thought traffic was light this morning!" I quip as she finishes her second mug of coffee. She smiles involuntarily, realizes that the joke is lame, and stops. I say something genuinely funny and we're both in stitches. We feel really good right now, after the nice breakfast and the good news and the laughing—so good that we make love again. This effort equals the earlier one, and we're both really pleased.

There's a knock at the door.

"Hey, we just teleported over," my friends say. "Let's go!"

We decide to go to Berlin first. Then we see some of Rome's ancient landmarks, and Greece, and we stop in to equatorial Africa to check out some elephants. After we've spent a few hours on a beach in New Zealand, we head back stateside.

The public teleportation station is near the park; inside, five guys are looking for a basketball game. Four of my friends and I accept their challenge, and a small crowd gathers as we begin. The teams match up well, with one exception. The guy I'm guarding can't seem to drive past me, nor shoot over me. He's totally helpless against me, but the same cannot be said for my offense. I am a triple threat. The game ends with backboard-shattering gorilla dunk—my gorilla dunk. The crowd, now somewhat large, cheers.

"In all my years of coming to this park, I've never seen that squad beaten!" an enthused fan says.

The defeated are angry. They refuse to shake our hands. One, the man I was guarding, is especially mouthy.

"Good game, guys," we say. "No hard feelings?"

The man responds by degrading the woman I love. I assure him that his behavior is unacceptable; his furor only escalates. We are now eye to eye, like boxers at a weigh-in.

He stumbles backward, stunned by my headbutt. His nose is bleeding, but not broken, and he will not require medical care, even after I dodge his punch and land one of my own. It's a square shot, beautiful in its way—it even makes the sound that John Wayne's punches made. Like the Duke, I lay him flat with this minimal effort. He apologizes and changes his life.

Everyone heads to the other side of the park, where an ice cream social is being held. I select a flavor containing real brownies. I eat my treat with a spoon and watch the puppies. Did I mention there were friendly puppies running around, unleashed? There are puppies. Lots and lots of puppies.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You included a head butt in your perfect day?

Heather

Floyd said...

Puppies!! Puppies!!

Anonymous said...

Arts Audio/Video
As the first part of a series about obsessive hobbyists, NPR's Art Silverman visits The Bob Dylan ... Killing Time with 'The Dukes of Hazzard' NPR - Wed Aug 10, 3:29 PM ET The Dukes of Hazzard is a film so meaningless that it is almost impossible to review, according to critic Kenneth Turan.
Nice blog....looking for the latest hip hop radio rap station site/blog. Its all about hip hop radio rap station

Pseudo-intellectual lunatic said...

cool blog dawg

Kara said...

Geez! I hate these f'ing blog spammers leaving bogus comments to make a few cents.

They've been hitting really hard lately. I hope they don't find me!

Anonymous said...

Bombings in the Southern Philippines
Bombings in the Southern Philippines via Philippine Daily Inquirer: Two bomb blasts tore through Zamboanga , a city in the Southern Philippines.
Hello neat blog you got, great stuff I bookmarked it.

I have a globes site/blog. Covering all globes related stuff.

Come see it if you get time.

Gav said...

Sorry to disappoint, DN, but equatorial Africa contains no elephants. Equatorial Africa is desert... all desert. To view the elephants, one must travel southward approximately 20 degrees on a latitudinal scale. But then you would be in Congo, and that's no good. How about you teleport about 25 degrees in Africa to Kenya. That's about your best chance to see the elephants and stay alive.

Gav said...

*Please note* That last comment was written at 2:44 AM.

There are elephants in Equatorial Africa.

Anonymous said...

BTW, I tried cantalope with salt. It just tasted like that. I will continue to eat my melon straight up.

Heather

dn said...

Wow. I guess part 2 of my perfect day really struck a chord with people. I'll respond to the comments CircleV.blogspot style:

anon: Thanks for bookmarking me! I don't have an X-Box. I hate the controllers.

anon2: A PS3 blog?! I'm there, dude! That machine is going to do everything but jerk me off! I can't wait!

anon3: Your blog sounds like shit. Like, a big, smell, binary dump.

anon4: I'm honored that you feel that I am trustworthy enough to see your blog. I'm sure your wife is tired of harboring all of its secrets. So imagine my dismay when I realized that I don't have a Harley, and even if I did, I wouldn't want some faggy organizer for it. See you in Sturgis, dude!

Heather: I considered not doing the headbutt, but headbutts are just too cool. If done properly, of course, which wouldn't be a problem for me on my perfect day. Headbutts say, "This guy knows his shit."

Floyd: Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!

anon5: I listen to NPR, too. But not hip hop radio. :(

Psuedo: Thanks. Enjoy.

anon6: Is it really possible to "agree with" that post? I mean, it's just me describing my perfect day. Maybe if you weren't a robot, you'd understand. And have emotions.

anon7: You're just an idiot. That doesn't even deserve a response.

kara: I don't know you, but I see that you watched Big Lebowski the other day...so you're OK in my book. Thanks for stopping by.

anon8: Thanks for the emoticon. That's really tits!

anon9: Zamboanga? You made that up.

Pick: I panicked until you posted that follow up comment. Now I don't have to make up a story about how, on my perfect day, elephants migrated toward equatorial Africa.

heather: fair play. Just stay away from Honeydew melon. That stuff is worthless.