Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Ice Cream and Oatmeal

We've just finished our lunch. The topic of conversation is the strawberry jam Deb used on her rye toast. The diner waitress is explaining a unique breakfast dish she sometimes enjoys - it's not on the menu.

"It's a scoop of ice cream, oatmeal, and strawberry jam."

"Is this cooked oatmeal?" I ask, imagining some kind of granola/yogurt pairing.

"No," she laughs, "That's a man question! It's okay, my husband doesn't cook, either."

"Yeah, I guess I'm the freak here. Silly me, trying to clarify your receipe for a rare, ungodly breakfast trifecta (breakfesta?). You're old. Just die already," I don't retort, leaving her tip behind as I walk to the register, pay, and exit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Raw oatmeal sounds gross. Even mixed in ice cream with jam. You should at least toast it in a pan.

So you and Deb got married then. Congratulations. Who is she?

dn said...

The waitress' husband does not cook; this does not affect my marital status.