Sunday, July 11, 2010

2010 Spring Recap - Netflix

A Serious Man

I enjoyed it. But I have nothing to say about it.


The African Queen

I was somewhat surprised this movie is considered such a classic - it's #17 on the AFI's Top 100. A steamboat hobo (basically) played by Humphrey Bogart and a missionary played by Katherine Hepburn find themselves fighting against the German navy. Along the way, they fall in love because they're the only two people on the steamboat. It's a fun old movie, but I get the feeling people loved it because they finally got to see African scenery without having to read National Geographic.




Year One

Guys, it's available for instant streaming on Netflix. It's short, and not nearly as bad as I was led to believe. David Cross is very funny as Cain.




Sherlock Holmes

Hmm. Nothing to say here, either, except that it's good to have Jude Law and Rachael McAdams back in action. I missed their faces.


Spellbound

Excellent. Funnier than you'd expect from a Hitchcock movie, and it's got some weird imagery designed by renowned sexual deviant Salvador Dali.




Choke

I love Sam Rockwell so much, I sat through this whole thing.


Big Fan

Decent, if you like watching Patton Oswalt be a schlub.


Youth in Revolt

Kim and I both enjoyed it a lot. I had considered seeing it in the theater, but was scared off by bad reviews. I can only imagine that the bad reviews came from those who loved the book and were disappointed by the screen adaptation, because at worst, this is a funny, extremely passable coming-of-age tale. It's made excellent by Steve Buscemi, Zack Galafanakis, Fred Willard, and Michael Cera.

People seem to be upset that Michael Cera plays the same character in every movie. This school of thought ignores two points: 1.> The Michael Cera prototype is a very funny character, and 2.> Michael Cera is a 21-year-old willow of a man who still looks like he's in high school. What other roles would you expect Hollywood to offer? Should he turn down these Passive Kid roles for a slot in the new A-Team? Let him knock out a few more leading roles, and if he's still playing a anxious geek a few years from now, we'll crucify him.

No comments: