Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Paul Week Part 2 - Now That's What I Call Phil Collins

Paul wrote on 01/20/2006 08:15:09 AM:

hey dan,

i know my last few e-mails have been about phil collins, but i just heard "invisible touch" this morning, and now i can't get it out of my head. this has given me an idea.


as we have previously discussed, the number of phil covers has grown large over the past few years. so, i was thinking why don't we turn the tables and have phil release an all-covers album of current/recent music. lets let phil cash in on other people for once. just think about it, you could have phil covering gwen stefani's "holla back girl", outkast, weezer's "beverly hills", etc. i challenge you to find a person that wouldn't buy this album. by the way, if you could pick 3 songs to have phil cover, what would they be?

paul



For my answer to Paul's difficult question, I limited myself to recently released, Top 40ish songs that sincerely think Phil Collins could handle.

The White Stripes - My Doorbell
I'm thinking Phil could handle this one OK, channelling his "I Can't Dance" days.

Nickelback - Whatever Nickelback song is on the radio now
I'm proud to announce that I haven't heard their latest single, but I do remember that blasted "like a paperback novel" song. Phil would be all over that.

Kanye West - Golddigger
Phil Collins can't rap (or dance, per his own admission), but I'd like to hear him sing Jamie Foxx's lines on "Golddigger".

Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends
Phil would retool the arrangement to fit his unique voice, and the result would be powerful. He would also retool the video, switching out hot young actress Evan Rachel Wood with a claymation female.

Death Cab For Cutie - Soul Meets Body
If you've heard the Postal Service cover of "Against All Odds", you know that Ben Gibbard and Phil Collins are interchangeable.

Coldplay - Any Coldplay song ever
Think about it.

2 comments:

Floyd said...

Too easy. I challenge to find a song that Phil Collins COULDN'T cover successfully.

Here's my attempt: Down with the Sickness by Disturbed...now that I think about it, Phil would be awesome with this song...damn it, Phil Collins!

dn said...

Phil would struggle with Fallout Boy-esque emo, or "screamo", if you will. Phil's take on "Since U Been Gone" would also be lacking. The man is talented, but even he has his limits.