Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Fornicating in France

Continuing our rounds in the local papers, here's an excerpt from today's Topeka Capital-Journal. The Topeka city council heard arguments against adding "sexual orientation" to the list of things city employees can't be discriminated because of. (No comments, please, about my grammar in the previous sentence.) Here's a killer excerpt from the town that brought you "God hates fags" placards:
The Rev. Stan Johnson used the term "sodomites" to describe homosexuals, while acknowledging others often are uncomfortable with that term. Johnson echoed the comments of others who said homosexual behavior is morally wrong, then took that one step further by saying homosexual behavior is unwelcome in Topeka.

"If somebody wants to be a sodomite, then they should move to France," he said.
Want another reason to move to France? YOU LIVE IN TOPEKA.

3 comments:

Floyd said...

And yet if we call them homophobes, it's an example of how liberals don't understand "red-state values".

I think being "red-state liberals" (copyright) gives us a unique perspective into the current national conversation concerning the Democrat's failure to understand red-staters. I might post something about this on my website. Stay tuned.

dukkillr said...

let me pose this question: Is it possible to believe that the definition of marriage that has existed in this country since it's founding is simply correct, without being accused of anything? It's really a simple question, is it possible too keep marriage between a man and woman without someone calling me a "homophobe". I'm not afraid of gays, I'm not afraid of being gay, infact there's no "phobe" in my analysis. I simply believe the definition we've always assumed was correct, and so do a majority of americans (even in Oregon!).

Please note that I'm not trying to deny anyone the right to make a contractual relationship. You want to visit your "partner" on their death bed, fine. You want to be the default guardian, fine. But I'm comfortable saying that your relationship simply isn't a marriage, sorry.

Floyd said...

This post had nothing to do with gay marriage, civil unions, etc. It had to do with discriminating against someone because of their sexual orientation, and calling a group of people sodomites because they don't have sex like the majority do.

I definitely don't believe that all anti-gay rights people are homophobes. But I'm confortable with saying that many, probably the majority, are.