Monday, April 11, 2005

Work Ethics

Today was kind of a shitty work day. I expended a lot of effort and couldn't listen to much music while doing so - lots of calling this jerk and taking a call from this other jerk; headphones and telephone machines don't mix. (That new Beck CD was in my line of vision, taunting me. "Listen to my dope mish-mash of electronifunk!" it squealed.) The worst part of today's efforts is that they will likely go for naught. A couple of incompetent people will take my information and advice and screw it up, manufacturing a half-assed investigation and third-assed report just so it looks like they did some work.

But it's OK. Do you know why? A few years back, I adopted the philosophy of one of our nation's great spiritual leaders, Rasheed Wallace. Back when 'Sheed was in Portland, much maligned, a reporter asked him how he felt:
"I don't give a shit about no trade rumors. as long as somebody CTC, at the end of the day I'm with them. for all you that don't know what CTC means, that's 'cut the check.'"
I want to do my best, I want to give a good effort, and I want my job to make a difference - but when it doesn't, I'm not going to sweat it. I'll take my check and my low blood pressure and drive home to my friends, my Playstation, my couch.

No comments: