Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Don't Call Me Shirley

I'm watching the AFI's Top 100 Movie Quotes on CBS. Why? Because I read the list of nominees months ago - it was a huge .pdf file that I chipped through during work hours. It took so long to read I feel invested in this countdown.

AFI chose an good mix of entertainers for pundit duty. Knowledgeable directors like Cameron Crowe and George Lucas are thrown in with decent comedians. And then there's the actors:

Patrick Swayze has had some work done.
Burt Reynolds has had a lot of work done.
Billy Crystal has no wrinkles.

I'm just saying - would Billy Crystal's career really suffer very much if he refused to get plastic surgery? I'm pretty sure that this nation's grandparents would continue to laugh at his shitty jokes, wrinkles or no wrinkles.

Some of the pundit/fundit choices are really strange. Dennis Miller is one, but at least he's a former comedian who has been in some movies. The choice to include Penn and Teller, however, is baffling. Penn is holding his own tonight, but he's not giving any more insight than I could. I expected more from such a big moviestar.

A side note: Dirty Harry's "You feel lucky, punk?" is on the list, and they showed the climatic clip from that movie. Do yourself a favor and watch the end of Dirty Harry, taking care to listen to the criminal. After Dirty Harry says his line, the scumbag pauses before reaching for his gun. As he reaches, he makes a ridiculous noise. Something like, "Huh hoo huh hee hee!" It's classic. Highly recommended by myself and Jack Serpentine.

No comments: