Thursday, June 30, 2005

Golden Silence

I've never used The Real World to describe my personality before - I'm not sure it's a good idea, but let's see how this goes...

Tuesday night's episode was another masterpiece. The side plot involved crazy blonde girl, who confessed that she has "learned so much" being away from her boyfriend. After dating him for three years, three (mostly drunken) days in Austin provided perspective. She hasn't had this kind of clarity since she took that weekend trip to visit her grandparents.

The main storyline was the group's work assignment. A large door opened to reveal a man in a craned director's chair. ("When I saw the guy in the director's chair, I knew we'd be doing something related to film," Nehemiah said solemnly.) The director explained that he was a documentarian, and has worked with such notables as Spike Lee and Michael Moore.

"Michael Moore! Plbbbt!" Rachel spat, explaining that she was a combat veteran.

"Uh, yeah, so my point is, I work with directors, and you're going to be doing a 15 minute documentary on the South by Southwest Festival," Mr. Director replied.

First off, their one assignment for the entire season is to produce a 15-minute documentary? Fifteen minutes? If I had their equipment and time, I could make a SXSW doc as long as (and infinitely more watchable than) The Thin Red Line. Given the personnel (see Nehemiah's quote above), I guess 15 minutes would be a miracle.

Secondly, people like Rachel probably refer to themselves as "opinionated" or "spunky", but I refer to them as "windbags". Within minutes of meeting a (famous? established?) director, she gives Michael Moore a big thumbs down - with all the energy of a pre-cancer Ebert.

The source of my disgust is not Rachel's hatred of Michael Moore. I really don't care what she likes. That's why I didn't ask. The director didn't ask, either, but that didn't stop her.

I come across as a quiet, private person - a characteristic that I've had to apologize for more than once. I don't reveal much about myself because I don't want to be seen as a Rachel; I'd rather seem cold or disconnected than an annoying little shit that can't stop talking about my opinions or my life. If you want to know something about me, just ask. Otherwise, I'll keep it to myself. Or write it on this blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After viewing both episodes, and somewhat working in the film/TV business I can say it would be a miracle if they were able to make a 15 minute documentary. My guess is those two other dudes they introduced briefly acutally do all of the work. For comparison, we worked 2 months straight to finish a 30 second commerical...it did feature a pretty sweet CG robot though.

-phil