Monday, June 27, 2005

Moratorium

1. Playing "No Woman, No Cry" on bar jukeboxes. It's not an outstanding song, and hearing it all the goddamn time doesn't make it any better. Let's all take a break and rethink things in 5 years. Don't believe me? Ask anyone with an unbelieveably over-the-top pseudonym.

2. In-depth news coverage of wildfires, esp. those occurring in California. I'll allow the mudslide stories, but there are fires every summer. If the fire is taking up half the state, go ahead and let me know. If it's threatening a really large city, OK. Otherwise, push it to the end of the newscast.

3. Disappearing. I don't want to hear about anyone getting lost or kidnapped. I need a break. So, for the next 3 months or so, let's everybody just hang out at home, doors and windows locked, and relax.

4. Hitler comparisons. The Daily Show already covered this last week.

5. Claiming an establishment has "the best hamburgers EVER!" There's a reason a lot of places have great burgers - great burgers are cheap, easy to make, and benefit from low expectations. Billions of people have willingly eaten McDonald's "hamburgers" - it's no surprise that they go nuts when someone serves them a nice, thick, juicy burger made from actual beef. Unless the burger you ate was somehow extraordinary - made from abnormal ingredients, prepared uniquely, cooked by angels - keep your superlative praises to yourself. This goes double for "the best sandwiches EVER!"

7 comments:

Gav said...

Personally, I have issues with two of your peeves. First off, I am in disagreement that kidnapping should not be broadcast over the air. I feel that the amber-alert system for children who have been kidnapped is a pretty good way to have the public's eyes out for kids who were probably too young to defend themselves against the kidnapper. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy on that one.

The second I have beef with is the burger complaint. In-n-out Burger on the west coast doesn't actually say that they make 'the best hamburgers EVER', but I do know that they have a pretty original preparation style. Any fast food place with a 'secret menu' is pretty cool. (http://www.tiburon-belvedere.com/cgi/home.cgi?c=In_N_Out)

Anonymous said...

My mom had a similar rant this weekend regarding bloody marys. She said that she had a bloody mary at their local steak place and it blew. "I'm just sick and tired of having a bad bloody mary. If you're going to put 'World's Greatest' on the menu, I better be getting the goddamn world's greatest bloody mary!"

Heather

dukkillr said...

But republicans are hitler! What would I do if I couldn't invoke the horrors of 15 million dead to explain a mean dog in someone's face?

Floyd said...

You're right, torture of alleged criminals/terrorists is not Nazi-like at all. Then again, neither is the estate tax, but that hasn't stopped Nazi comparisons either.

I agree with the moratorium on Nazi comparisons, as they have become almost meaningless. That said, Sen. Durbin didn't compare the US or the troops to Nazis. He pointed out that many of the things taking place in American military prisons are too close to those acts perpetrated by fascist regimes for comfort, which I completely agree with.

dn said...

We've been coddling children with the Amber Alert system for TOO LONG.

Duk, lame Republican commentary are not allowed on my blog. There might be a CoulterRocks Yahoo Group somewhere you can use. And Hitler is capitalized.

dukkillr said...

If you think I'm being unfair I'll say that the rule applies to any party/group.

I never toe any party line, and I don't consider myself to be a "Republican".

I've never said anything positive about Coulter in my life.

Perhaps because I don't hate Bush first, and figure out why later, it's reasonable to assign me beliefs that I don't actually have.

Anonymous said...

I figured out why and then I hated Bush.

Heather