Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Coldplay Are People, Too

I read an excerpt of a Newsweek article on Coldplay at Stereogum:
GUY BERRYMAN: "We're not a cool band anymore like the Strokes or the White Stripes, and sometimes I feel insecure about that."

Martin admits he winced when Radiohead's Thom Yorke, one of his heroes, labeled Coldplay "lifestyle music" - a dig at the band's universality in films, stores, airports and Mom's iPod.


CHRIS MARTIN: "It's like unrequited love. I'm in love with a lot of things. Some of those things love me back. And some of them don't - and one of them is Radiohead."
You don't have to love Coldplay - you can dismiss them like Thom, and that's okay. Others will love them in your place. Ali will love them for "Moses", I will love them for "Shiver" and "The Scientist" - despite overexposure of the latter, and Phil will love them for "God Put a Smile On Your Face". You don't have to love them, but this excerpt should make you respect Coldplay.

3 comments:

Gav said...

Funny that you posted about Coldplay. As Floyd and I were on our way to the Royals v. Yankees game this evening (a 3-1 victory for the good guys), I had the Live album in for the ride there. I agree that they are not a band who I would drop everything to go see, nor buy all their CD's, but I do think their music is genuine. I personnally like "See you soon", in which Martin shares his feelings about a woman who will not open up and therefore split up with.

I also am a fan of "Shiver". Probably because I get cold easily and have a tendency to shiver alot.

Anonymous said...

I've been saying for quite some time now that Coldplay are the next U2. While there are other bands around that write good, flag-waving songs, Coldplay are the only band that "wants" U2 style popularity.

From what I've heard of the album [and yes, I know there are leaks but I'm holding out] Coldplay have reinforced what I've mentioned above.

On a similar note, as I have also mentioned to Dan, the new Oasis record is excellent. It will be known as their 'Revolver' 10 years from now.

Lastly, during one glorious weekend this September I will see Oasis on Thursday, Coldplay on Friday, Doves and Coldplay again on Saturday and then conclude with another Oasis show on Sunday. Sweet.

Phil

dn said...

That would be sweet. Sweeter still if Houston wasn't involved.