Wednesday, February 02, 2005

I Like to Watch

What did you do today? Were you the person that spent 44 minutes looking through various parts of this weblog? Well, I hope you had an enjoyable time, but other people had to work. For example, my friend Phil had to go to work today - he works for a company that makes many different things, but is most famous for manufacturing wristwatches. In fact, a short distance from his assigned workspace, a small group of dorks try to think of new watch ideas. Phil can hear their conversations, and it sounds like grade A idiocy. (Hey, I can relate - the other day at my place of work a guy actually used the phrase, "She didn't fire a person, but she laid someone off." Eh?) The watch thinktank's ridiculous antics inspired this thread of e-mail:
ME (BEING ONE OF THE WATCH GUYS): How can we capitalize on this Little Richard trend? Make a watch that looks like Little Richard!

PHIL: I believe as we speak they are working on a Little Richard watch. It's called the Tootie Fruity Timepiece or the Good Golly [I'll never be late again] Miss Molly Watch.

ME:Here's an idea - name a celebrity or an idea, and the other person will be responsible for naming the watch(es) associated with that celebrity or idea. Since you already did Little Richard, I'll do Winston Churchill:

Our Greatest Hour watch

Wow. That was easy. And I really, honestly thought of the person before the watch name. Your turn, your choice: surfing and/or Dave Matthews

PHIL: I'm going for a more off the top of my head stream than anything...

The Before These Crowded Dials Watch

Hang 10 [o'clock] watch

I'm guessing that you enjoyed my Little Richard watches. I dig that Churchill timepiece. Next topic: Star Trek and/or obscure 19th century US President [i.e Millard Fillmore]

ME: Stardate watch

Tricorder-to-the-hour watch

2 Nonconsecutive Ticks watch (Grover Cleveland - ps this watch would keep terrible time due to overly literal, dedicated-to-the-concept engineering)

Miller's Minutes watch (Fillmore)

next topic: ABC's "The View" watch and Eli Whitney

PHIL: The wait a cotton pickin' minute watch

I'm still thinking about The View...there's got to be something that involves Star jones right? No new topic until their is a The View watch.

ME: The Daytime Talk(ing) watch?

PHIL: It'll do. New topic(s): U2 watch or Elvis watch

ME: Taking Care of Minutes (in a Flash!) watch

Suspicious Times

Is it Now or Never? This Elvis watch will tell you! (ok that's more of a tag line...)
So if you ever wondered what I do to make it through the workday, there it is.

No comments: