Monday, February 14, 2005

That's Methed Up

Last Thursday night I had a dream that Sarah, an upstanding law student, tore off her own ear while high on methamphetamine. It's a little hazy, but later on in the dream I think she was applying for a job at a bar, and she was upset about how she was being treated - you know, on account of the missing ear. Then someone, maybe her, gave a "who among us hasn't made a mistake" speech. There may have been a resolution or I may have awoken first.

The dream was inspired by some City Pages articles on meth abuse I read a few years ago. One article stated:
Heavy meth users go on binges that sometimes last up to two weeks. More typically, binges are between one and three days. During this period, users often engage in compulsive or repetitive acts, such as housecleaning or disassembling appliances. Meth also produces an array of strange physical sensations. One of the most common is called formication--the delusion of insects crawling under the skin. The cause of formication is not entirely understood. Some research has suggested that toxic adulterants in meth (perhaps from the solvents used in the manufacturing process) accumulate in the skin cells, which then begin dying. In response, sufferers begin to pick or scratch until they form open sores. The phenomenon is referred to as "crank bugs" or "meth mites."

And there was also another article, which underscores the horrors of meth:
"I remember being at this house one time after I had run away," Tina remembers. "There was this kid who had been up for like two or three weeks straight and he was picking at his nose because he thought there were bugs crawling around in there. He's picked these big, bloody holes in his nostrils, and he finally took a scissors and cut into his nostrils on both sides."

I understand how people would be tempted to try cigarettes, alcohol, pot, and even cocaine. What I don't understand is the moment someone thinks, "Maybe I'll go ahead and try some crystal meth - I mean, it's made from Sudafed and some other awful shit, but I hear you get high from it!" or "LSD, huh? So there's about a 50/50 chance that this will be an awful experience? I'm in!" or "Heroin? Sure, I loved Trainspotting and Requiem for a Dream! Jared Leto is hott!"

No comments: