Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Two Jerks

Jerk #1 - Michael Crichton
"Nobody knows how much of the present warming trend might be a natural
phenomenon. Nobody knows how much of the present warming trend might be man-made. Nobody knows how much warming will occur in the next century", he writes.
Hey! Thanks for dropping that knowledge on me, Mr. C! Thanks for the hours of enjoyment you brought us via the Jurassic Park movies - well, via the first one anyway. And kudos for creating ER! Man, that show has really soldiered on respectably, despite an ever-changing cast. Oh, and Mr. C, could I show you something? You know, payback for all the years of decent entertainment you've given me? Super! Here goes:


That ever increasing line that started around the time of the industrial revolution is called "data". I'm sure you looked at a lot of that sort of thing when researching your new (and awesome!) book, but maybe you missed this one chart. Anyway, I found it pretty compelling back when I was getting my degrees. Of course, I was taught by liberal activists that were skewing the data - not surprising the conclusions they draw, am I right Mr. C? Yeah, you know what I'm talking about! When they're kids they decide they're going to skew scientific data when they grow up so they can mess with those mean republicans, they go off to school, pick up a few degrees, become experts in their fields, do scientific experiments, and then they have the nerve to tell me that I'm causing global warming?! While they're being paid with my taxes? Crazy hippy scientists!

Oh, I forgot to mention - Congo? Good stuff!

Jerk #2 - Liz Tuccillo
The WB Network has ordered an untitled one-hour pilot, to be executive produced by "Friends" co-creator Marta Kauffman. The comedy-drama revolves around four adult sisters who navigate career, romance and relationships in New York. It was written by Liz Tuccillo (HBO's "Sex and the City").
Hey Liz! Can't wait to see the pilot! Sounds like it's got all the key ingredients for a hit series! I know this because it's already been a hit series! It was called Sex and the City, and you wrote some of its episodes! I like how you're mixing it up by making the main characters sisters - very Clark Kent of you. Anyway, I've gotta run - keep squeezing that rock!

4 comments:

Floyd said...

I'll stick up for Mike C. He puts those statements in at the beginning of most of his books, and it's pretty much a "cover-your-ass" statement. It's probably safe to assume that in the book, global warming causes horrific natural catastrophes that kill lots of people. There are probably characters in the book that give all kinds of reasons how man has caused global warming, which in turns causes deaths. In order to avoid the appearance of making a political statement, and it turn, being flamed by the "global-warming-does-not-exist" crowd, and, thus, hurting sales, he puts the "cover-my-ass" statement at the beginning of the book. Not that big a deal.

If you have a beef with Mr. C not making a political statement about global warming, fair enough.

And "Congo" the book was actually good. "Congo" the movie, drastically different than the book, was a large steaming pile of gorilla dung.

Floyd said...

Well, crap. I just read the linked article. My foot is completely in my mouth. I retract everything I said earlier.

Except about "Congo" the book being good. It really is, I swear!

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the RealClimate site, or their response to Crichton? I think it's a good one.

Bob said...

It's all gonna burn anyway, so who cares? Come Lord Jesus!