Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Your Song

If someone were to describe you as a song - paying no attention to the song's lyrics, title, or overall meaning - what song do you WISH they would choose?

Nirvana - "Milk It". This was the song that was playing in my car when I thought of this question. I guess I'm going stuck with "Milk It" for my answer, although in truth I'd prefer the same album's "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" over "Milk It". And if you would further forgive what initially triggered my answer, I might switch gears altogether and go with a song with more complexity, like Radiohead's "Let Down", or more life-giving energy, like Weezer's "My Name is Jonas". I can live without being known as the human equivalent of something as emotional as S&G's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" or Rufus Wainwright's cover of "Hallelujah".

If someone were to describe you as a song - paying no attention to the song's lyrics, title, or overall meaning - what song do you THINK they would choose?

I think I'd be described as a simple song without many tempo shifts - the first thing that comes to mind is the bass line from U2's "With or Without You". That song might work, actually, seeing as how I am usually considered quiet but am prone to short bouts of yelling:
my hands are tied
my body bruised
she got me with
nothing to win
and
NOTHIIIIIING
LEFT TO LOOOOOOOOOSE
But I could be wrong. Feel free to comment about songs that would describe me or yourself...but please, for the love, take it easy on the "Sex Bomb" references.

5 comments:

Bob said...

Man, that's a tough question...

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the song we most associate with ourselves is rooted in those Wonder Years when we figure out what we are about. I bet there is a correlation.

My song without a doubt "Tonight, Tonight" by the "SP Smash it up" Pumpkins--"We'll crucify the insincere tonight…believe in me as I believe in you"--does it get any better?

dn said...

I just thought I'd moderate here:

Unless someone else on Earth has ever referred to the Pumpkins as "SP Smash it up", "Tonight, Tonight" was Phil's selection.

dn said...

Amazing. That means at least 5 people in the world sometimes say "SP! Smash it up!" when talking about Corgan & Co. What hell hath Schneller wrought?

Vanessa: methinks you are using lyrics as a guide to your choice, despite the instructions to do otherwise. Fly right.

Anonymous said...

Dan: Methinks you are an ass.

That's not true, but "Tonight, Tonight" is a real personal Venn Diagram...not only do the lyrics say a lot about youth/me when i was a youngin; the song also has an emotionally distant yet energetic quality--the overlap is what I consider to be the song that others (and I) would use to describe "myself" per your question. TMI? Probably.

P.S. Fox can suck my cock.