Monday, July 04, 2005

The Other Archives - Canadian Karaoke

Paul sent this e-mail to me one year ago. Behold, his Independence Day weekend, 2004:
also, here's a tale from the karaoke mic that i thought you might enjoy. during my trip over the 4th, myself and 3 friends went up to windsor, ontario on the night of the 4th. the festivities kicked off around 4:00, and we found ourselves in a karaoke bar around midnight. for some reason, a hot girl started to karaoke the star-spangled banner. two of my friends and myself thought it was appropriate to join her on stage. so, you had 3 drunk guys and one hot chick singing the anthem to a bar full of canadians. if that wasn't enough to fuel the fire, i felt it was necessary to take the mic over to an american flag hanging on the wall after the singing was over, point to it, and say "these colors don't run" (which may also be the greatest wal-mart t-shirt of all time) while pointing to a table of canadians that had booed during the anthem. needless to say, it didn't go over too well, and we were quickly asked to leave the bar. apparently freedom of speech isn't as valued north of the border as it is here.
I'll be back with a post on Monday.

2 comments:

dn said...

Oops - I put this post up before I left for the weekend, but it was tagged with the wrong date, so most of you didn't notice it...

New material Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

People from Ontario call Windsor "the armpit of Ontario." Of course they were booing the national anthem...if I sang the Canadian national anthem here I would be booed as well. In fact, I have been booed. This post upsets me, and I don't know if I will be able to sleep.