Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Ann Arbor Arbor


Went to the Nichols Arboretum today. As in, from 1:30 until 5:00. The pamphlet says it "celebrates the dramatic topography", and I guess I'd have to agree.

I actually walked through the arboretum to UMich's north campus to see something called "The Wave Field". It was listed as an attraction on the Visitor's Bureau website, so I googled it:
A pure earth sculpture, made entirely of soil covered with grass, 'The Wave Field' collapses the boundaries between nature and art, earth and water, object and pedestal. The sculpture, which took over two years to complete, is approximately 90 feet by 90 feet square. The waves, which rise from the natural ground plane to five or six feet high, make a subtle transition into the piece, blurring the distinction between the sculpture and the space in which it exists.
I guess I'd agree with that, too. But I also might say that it's a little disappointing. I mean, two years for this?


Anyway, then I walked back through a different path in the arboretum, and came up to the dorm. I'm going to go get the sampler at one of the downtown breweries, and probably finish High Fidelity.

Bobby, thanks again for use of this camera. It makes me feel like I have a purpose, if that makes any sense.

3 comments:

Bob said...

Sure thing. Photos are looking good...

Anonymous said...

I think it's beautiful. So what's the verdict, should I apply to Michigan for grad school?

P.S. What kind of sign do you want me to make when I come pick you up? "Dan, I'm pregnant"

-C dogg

dn said...

So long as I get home from the airport, you can make any sign you want. "Mail-order husband" might be a funny one.