Monday, July 11, 2005

Video Wake Up

I watched MTV this morning. Before exploring the programming, let's take a moment to discuss the circumstances that lead a 26 year-old professional, bowl of imitation frosted mini-wheats in hand, to 7 a.m. music television. Sportscenter now features more "breakdown" segments and Crossfire-esque shouting matches than highlights. Today, GMA, and The Early Show all feature the same news stories that NPR will cover more efficiently during my commute. All the other programming, sans MTV and VH1, can't be properly viewed during a 15 minute breakfast. Until I buy a TiVo, I'm stuck with the above.

This morning's first video was Jessica Simpson's remake of "These Boots are Made for Walking". As pointless as the remake itself is Willie Nelson's appearance in the video (he's Uncle Jessie in the movie), and the video's finale - Simpson washing the General Lee in a suggestive manner. One of these days, those boots are going to walk all over you. For now, they're just going to get wet while I pour soapy water over my huge rack.

Next was Kanye West's "Diamonds of Sierra Leone". Could this be the most important rap song ever? If Kanye pointedly expresses the injustice of the diamond trade over a sick beat (I don't know if how dope the rhymes or rhythm are - I wasn't following too closely this morning, I was reeling a bit from the fact that there was a rap video discussing the African diamond market), consumer behavior may change. Think of the repercussions! "Iced out" and "Bling" exit the lexicon! And that guy that bought a bigger engagement ring than you? Turns out he just loves exploiting African workers more than you! Thanks, Kanye! Thanks, a.m. MTV!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Recently, this is the kind of situation where I have really valued The Simpsons on DVD. 20-22 minutes of hilarity while you eat. Thank the gods for TV trays.

[-jeff.]