Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Reference Letter, Bar of the Court of Appeals of Maryland

1. How long have you known the applicant? ____10____ years

2. In what capacity or under what circumstances have you known the applicant? Describe any opportunities you have had to observe the applicant (for example, as a coworker, employer, or neighbor).
I've known Mr. Serpentine for many years, in many capacities. Our first meeting was by chance - he and I happened to frequent the same track, and we exchanged pleasantries one Tuesday afternoon at the lower-level ATM. I thought I'd let him in one some inside info on one of the ponies, only to find that he knew it already! "You hear that from Sully?" I asked, and he was like, "Yeah! But I had to beat it out of 'em!" We shared a good laugh about that one - you'd laugh too if you knew Sully. What a boot shaker that guy was - knew his way around the business end of a pipe. Anyway, the fix was in and the bet paid off real nice, so we agreed to go celebrate the next day. Wednesday lunch became like a regular thing with us. We'd meet up at this little place on the north side, Ricko's, and the people there would treat us nice. The food was great, real fine scotch, all that - and nobody there poked around about your business, you know? But the highlight was always after our meal - Jack swore by these one cigars, Cubans. "They just don't taste the same if you buy them here," he always said. That's why he went down himself - he knew some pilot that flew down to the island every couple of months, and he'd tag along, you know, pick up a few boxes of cigars and bring them back. But that's the thing about Jack - he'd never hold back. You were always welcome to share the bounty. So every Wednesday, after our meal, we'd head over to this spot for a cigar. He said he'd been going for years, every week, like clockwork, and after I started going I understood why. I'd never seen a park like this - it was amazing, real nice grass and trees, and it shared a chain link fence with Saint Agnes' Academy. We'd sit on a picnic bench and smoke our cigars and watch the girls run around and jump rope and frolic. Real peaceful-like, real quiet, except for the girls laughing and squealing and you know, that's a sound that you never get tired of hearing. I always looked forward to the Wednesdays.

We was more than friends, though. Over time, we started a business partnership. Well, we didn't "start" it so much as we took it over. You know, these other guys had started it, but we convinced them to give it up and leave town, pronto. They knew we meant business (literally!). I gotta give all credit to Jack on that, too. Jack knew business, and he's great at it. Like, that pilot? I never would have thought to bring him into the business. Jack had the idea, and soon enough we were selling Cubans all over the city. (The cigars, not actual Cubans, because you know, it's a lot tougher than you'd think to get the people over here. Too many headaches - where to hide 'em, where to feed 'em - and people start to ask questions. Believe you me, one shipment of those was enough.) I can't brag on the money we made too much, because really, it was all Jack's plan, and he deserves all the credit. People would call him "Brains", you know, because he was so smart in business. And I'm like, "Brains? Ain't that a switch! You used to just be the muscle!" and we'd have a good laugh on that. I guess you guys know he's so smart, though, I mean with the law school and all. He went off to school and it kind of shocked me, you know, because I knew some of his family was locked up, but I didn't think he cared. That uncle of his, after he got convicted Jack just said, "He'd better keep his mouth shut." Didn't cry or nothing. So I got the impression he didn't like his family much, but I guess he does, otherwise why would he go become a lawyer, taking up the cause like that? But that's just Jack Serpentine - all around good guy.


3. Has the applicant to your knowledge been involved in any incident which might reflect unfavorably on his or her character? If so, please describe the incident.
I'd be real surprised if you can find any eyewitnesses to an incident involving Jack.

4. Do you recommend that the applicant be admitted to the Bar based on what you know of the applicant's conduct, general moral character and standards, legal ability, honesty, integrity, and fitness?
YES x
NO

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Massage parlor in Sacramento...that was you guys? Impressive boys...impressive.

BenJoBubble said...

That's good stuff! I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats. I might have to blog it!