Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Take A Look At Me Now

I spent some time with my family in Wichita over the weekend. When I drive north from Wichita, I look forward to this spot on I-35, in the Flint Hills. I first noticed it during Christmas break in 2002, on the way to visit Phil and Zach and Anastasia. If you look east at the crest of a particular hill, you see a little holding pond between two large hills, framing more green, rolling hills that stretch to the horizon. I always want to share that scene with others who haven't seen much of Kansas. See? The hills? The picturesque landscape? See? Kansas is pretty!

I was listening to old mix CDs on yesterday's drive, and Genesis "That's All" came on. (Possibly my favorite Genesis song, but I guess that's not saying much.)

"Because I loved you / more than I wanted to / there's no point in trying to pretend"

I wondered - did someone dearly love this song back in 1990 for its message? Did this song help someone get through some tough times? And looking back now, do they hear "That's All" and think, "Really? That was meaningful for me? Phil Collins? The 'Sussuido' guy?"

I've got a CD full of supportive songs that will hopefully stand the test of time. I'm confident that, a half-century from now, Elliott Smith will be looked on as a James Taylor, not as a Richard Marx. And when I hear his songs, I won't be ashamed that I relied on them. God, I hope. Because if "No Name #5" sounds like Air Supply's "I'm All Out of Love", I'm going to feel like an idiot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I have that "I'm all out of love" song in my head. Thanks Daniel.

Gav said...

When my sister moved in with my brother-in-law, they went through all their CD's and gave me some doubles. Jon had TWO copies of Air Supply's Greatest Hits, for himself.

I'll go ahead and just lay all my cards on the table... I have Air Supply's Greatest Hits at my house.

Anonymous said...

Lost in Love is the best song ever. I'm back on my feet and eager to be what you wanted...

Heather