Sunday, May 15, 2005

Rilo Kiley Concert, May 11, The Granada, Lawrence, KS

I found Rilo Kiley by accident - their lead singer, Jenny Lewis, was featured on the Postal Service album, and the band was mentioned on a few websites I read. I downloaded some songs out of curiosity, and that was that. Last December, I put together a CD with all of the music I discovered during 2004, and "Science vs. Romance" made the cut. Here's what I wrote in the liner notes (yes, I write liner notes, and yes, that is kind of weird):
Rilo Kiley - Science vs Romance
Best word = robots
I might like the title more than the song; I just looked up a photo of the female voice...40% less hot than I hoped.
Wednesday night, Rilo Kiley played a cheap show at the Granada. Having finally bought their latest CD (used), I felt qualified enough to attend.

I owe Jenny Lewis an apology. Just look at her that night, in a dress she bought second hand earlier in the day in Mass. Street's Arizona Trading Company (a store Floyd calls "Nothing Fits"):

[photo via rilokiley.net]

The show was good, if a bit pale in the wake of The Shins concert a few days prior. I'd definitely pay to see them again. You can download a few of their songs, including a rocker they performed in Lawrence, "The Execution of All Things" here for free.

On an unrelated note, Spoon will be featured on my 2005 mix CD. "I Turn My Camera On" will move you, literally.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sissy Spacek. It's Sissy singing. Not Jenny.

Heather

dn said...

Sissy couldn't pull off the belt. I could, though. Get it? Like, as in, I could pull off the belt that Jenny is wearing, and then remove her clothes and make a woman out of her? Get it?

In all seriousness, however, I hate those big belts. Eleanor of the Fiery Furnaces was wearing a big belt w/ dress, too; I guess it's all the rage, which enrages me.

dn said...

I also wanted to mention that Rilo Kiley opened with "It's a Hit", track one from the band's latest album. This was the first time such a thing happened since my first concert ever - Pearl Jam, 1993 or 1994, Wichita. They opened with "Go", track one from "Versus". I have no evidence of this, since my bootleg of that concert was long since stolen.