Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Axe Scent

Watched Big Fish tonight - good flick, tearjerker; one thing bothered me. Why must we cast a Scotsman and a Brit to star in a movie set in the American South? Don't get me wrong - I love Ewan McGregor, and I have an unhealthy obsession with Helena Bonham Carter - but listening to their efforts at a southern accent distracts me.

Is there truly not one truly southern actor that could have been cast in Ewan's place?

Are there no actresses in Britain that could step in for Gwyneth once in a while?

And just think if this trend would have started in the '80s - poor Paul Hogan!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Points well taken...however, there's only so many times we can go to the Matthew McConaughey well...at least until Jeff Foxworthy makes the crossover from "comedy."

On the flip side, mad props to the Americanized Kate Winslet in Eternal Sunshine. Honorable mention: Minnie Driver in Grosse Point Blank.

[-jeff.]