Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Noble Experiment

I saw my gastrointestinal doctor Monday. The anti-tumor necrosis factor alpha IVs are working; still, to further encourage my once huge fistula to heal, he is prescribing metronidazole pills (trade name Flagyl). Flagyl is usually used to treat people with parasites -- for reasons unknown, it also helps heal fistulas in those with Crohn's disease.

Here's a little snippet from Flagyl's package insert:
If patients receiving
Flagyl metronidazole tablets drink alcoholic beverages, they may experience abdominal distress, nausea, vomiting, flushing, or headache.
My physician advised me that my chance of a bad alcohol/antibiotic interaction is nearly 1 in 5. He suggested I spend a lazy afternoon determining my body's tolerance -- drink half a beer, sit around for about 6 hours, check for adverse reaction(s). If I'm feeling fine, I'm likely not going to have any problems during my course of treatment, and I can drink as I please.

I'm not too sold on his theory; I'm soliciting advice from Tornado Slide readers. I prefer advice from those outside of the Lawrence area, from readers who wouldn't directly benefit from my months of designated driving.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do it.

Drink the 1/2 can of beer. See what happens. Think about it. Side effects would be vomiting, nausea, diarrhea...all of these are dangers we all face everytime we go out drinking...with or with out flagyl.

Besides, the man is an MD. They know everything.

Heather

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a scene from what is probably my favorite episode of South Park...Counselor Mackey gets fired and is sitting in a bar, when the bartender serves him up a beer. A devil pops up on his shoulder and says, "Go ahead, drink the beer, it'll help calm you down"....and the angel on the other shoulder responds, "Yeah, why the hell not? It's just a beer...stop being such a pussy, mmmmkay?"

More life lessons from South Park to come...

[-jeff.]

Anonymous said...

As there were a lot of parasites in the Cuban water system, there were also a lot of people on flagyl. Seems like the reactions were very individual - half the people slammed down the daily dose of mojitos with no problem, while others greatly regretted the lack of flushable toilets during the evening hours.

Don't be a wuss - just try it and see.

[Stephanie]

Anonymous said...

I did a little reading on this and found that flagyl can have a disulfiram like effect. Disulfiram is the drug alcholics sometimes take to keep from drinking because it inhibits alcohol metabolism and acetaldehyde builds up and makes them feel really bad, but it doesn't really hurt them. Here's an abstract from a study that pretty much carried your experiment out without ill effects.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/
query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&d
opt=Abstract&list_uids=12022894
Based on the evidence, I say drink up. -cvj