Thursday, March 10, 2005

The Other Archives - Why I'm Friends With Phil

I'm sick today, which means I don't have to write something original. My only responsibilities on sick days are to A.> watch Dawson's Creek, and B.> discover that Comedy Central shows reruns of Upright Citizen's Brigade in the early afternoon. UCB! Why was I not told? I may never go to work again, folks.

These e-mails are about a year old:

So it's cold here...really cold...all the time. It's snowed almost everyday I've been here and I've seen the sun maybe twice. Anyway, about 6:00 pm yesterday I decided it was too cold to do anything. Then I kept thinking it was making me feel cold inside of my own house. Then I checked the thermostat. Set for 68. Actual temp...54. So, the gas was out.

We called the gas company and there was a message saying they knew of the gas leak and would be going door to door to fix the problem. Great. So, by 12:30 am no one had been by so we put on a bunch of clothes, blankets, etc and went to bed. Current temp inside...44. Surely they'll come tomorrow morning. Right?

At about 1:15 as I was drifting off to sleep I thought I saw someone walk by the window. This turned out to be false so I went to sleep. No heat.

At 3:37 am the doorbell rings. The gas company. We're here to turn the heat back on. What? What's going on? The exchange went something like this:

Gas Lady: I'm here to turn the heat on...can I come in?

Me: Sure. [drowsy]

GL: Where's the furnace...in the back?

Me: Yep. [little less drowsy]

GL: You don't have it turned on do you? Did you know the gas was even out?

Me: I knew [current temp according to Casey...38]

Suddenly thermostat LCD goes blank...nothing.

GL: OK, turn it back on.

Me: Doesn;t work...screen's blank.

GL: I know. Now turn it back on.

Me: No switch.

Gas Lady looks at screen...says...

GL: Uh oh.

Anyway, this continued for quite a while until suddenly it came back on.

I have never been awoken by the gas company before. By then I thought...we would have froze to death. What happens if they don't turn the heat back on. Would it be like a cartoon where I would wake up in a giant block of ice? What mold did they use [off camera presumably] that those characters came out in such a perfectly shaped block?

> Did you act like Balky and Larry in the episode of perfect strangers where they were > trapped in a ski lodge (?) with no heat, and Larry said something like, "you know,
> we could stay warm by BODY HEAT" suggestively to the flight attendant he liked?
> Did you act like that?

Yes, it was exactly like Perfect Strangers. Do you realize that at one point in my life I had four, 4 hour tapes of Perfect Strangers. I taped them off ABC...not the reruns but the originals. I bet they would be worth like 5 bucks today...basically the same price as the tapes.

1 comment:

Gav said...

My favorite episode of Perfect Strangers was the one where Balky and Larry, along with their girlfriends, were locked in the basement of their apartment complex and there is a large water-main leak. Luckily, the Power Box was located at the entrance to the basement which was about 20 feet up from the ground. This large distance also made it possible for Viacom/Warner Bros. (whoever wrote the TGIF smash hit) to stretch their dilemma over two episodes.

I didn't drink my chocolate milk for the next week at school. I couldn't stand the nervousness... of not knowing if Balky Bartoklumous would make it out alive.